Thursday, January 2, 2014

WQ6X/WP2 & N6GEO/NP2 drop anchor on ST-Croix. in the Caribbean



WQ6X/WP2 & N6GEO/NP2 are currently operating from the KP2M location on the Caribbean island of St. Croix (CQ Zone 8), ostensibly for the RTTY RU contest this coming weekend, but also to put the Virgin Islands on the air before & after the contest.  George is focusing his efforts on PSK31 and RTTY operation while I focus on running pileups on SSB & Cw from 160 to 10 meters on SSB & Cw.  Thus far in 24 hours I have passed the 500 QSO mark - not bad for an ad hoc setup. 
I found a brief opening on 160 meter Cw last night and managed to snag 10 stations.  Look for me more on 160 Ssb & Cw in the coming week.

Because this blog exists to give you my thoughts/feelings/emotions regarding operating, I would like to make a few comments about what it is like to be a sought after DX station.

The FT-1000mp gives me a lot of operating options, which are needed to successfully pull off such an operation.  I am amazed by how many stations (esp. on SSB) who are off frequency and need to be tuned in. How can they even understand me when they are that far off frequency?

I am also surprised by the number of stations who cannot follow directions.  Sometimes the pileups are so fierce that I have had to take it by call areas.  I call for area "1" and get obliterated by stations from other call areas.  My solution is to simply repeat my instructions and IGNORE the stations who don't listen and/or follow instructions.  It got so bad at 07:00z that I finally went QRT and was amazed by how PROUD many U.S. stations were that they chased me off. Remember folks, the most IMPORTANT operating tip is COURTESY. 
When you call out of turn you can obliterate the stations who are legitimately trying to get thru.

Also, while running a frequency I have been taking time to listen especially for mobiles and low-power (QRP) stations, because they deserve a break too.  The best QRP signal today was an S-9 1 watt signal on 10-meter Ssb from Maryland; proof that you don't need power on 10-meters to work the world.

Because I detest DX-peditions who only give out 5-9 or 599, I endeavor to give out REAL signal reports and exchange operator names for my log to make it more personal.

I will have more to say about our operation here, but for now, this is to let you know that St. Croix is radio-active.  My goal is to get WAS & WAC on all bands and as close to DXCC on as many bands as possible.

When we are finished here I will be uploading the WP2/WQ6X log (as well as the RTTY RU log) to the LOTW so y'all can get DXCC credit for our operations here.

Have you worked WQ6X or N6GEO on St. Croix?
There is still plenty of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment